Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Shopping trip and friends

So the pasttime of most ladies here seems to be shopping.  I am having to learn to adjust.  Instead of my typical go out and get what I need, I wait until someone wants to go shopping.  Then I go along and get one or two things on my list.  I don't get everything I want because then I wouldn't really have a reason to go next time.  Plus, I am making friends at the same time. 
So, let me tell you about some friends so that when I talk about shopping, it will be easier to follow. 
Aleeya- Aleeya has three kids, a boy age 9, a girl age 5 and in Tom's class and a boy age 2.  Aleeya's husband is RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) and is actually on the Wedgetail project.  Jay and her hubby don't know each other though.  He's been on the project for a very long time and they actually lived in the States from about 2003-2006 in Seattle.  She's taken me under her wing and shown me the ropes of living here.  It's very helpful that she has lived in the States because she can tell me what things here are similar to the States and where to find stuff.  She has lived in this area for about 3 years so she knows her way around.  Aleeya is similar to me in that she married young (even younger than me) and had kids early.  Tom likes her daughter so that's a plus as well. 
Selena- Selena has two daughters, one in Tom's class who is 6 and one who is 4 and will start school next year.  Selena is a recent move to this area as well and her oldest started school about a week before our kids did.  She is a bit of a free spirit and apparently used to backpack all over the world before settling down and having kids, getting married, etc.  Aleeya is also showing her around as well.  Selena's hubby is the chef at a local high end resort. 
Rachel- I don't know much about Rachel as she's furthering her education and is just now getting done with stuff for a bit.  She has 3 or 4 kids of her own and babysits two kids as well.  She and Aleeya have been friends for a while.  Rachel also has a daughter in Tom's class and this daughter is the girl that Tom has a huge crush on.  He thinks she's the best! 
Nicole- She is another Northrup wife and lives down in Newcastle.  She is 26 with no kids, but she is the only person I know who scrapbooks.
Aimee- A Boeing wife.  She just moved here last week from Turkey.  She has two little girls, age 4 and age 2.  They will be living up near us, but are friends with Nicole and her husband.  I don't know much about her yet as we've just met. 
So, last week on Thursday, I rode to Newcastle with Selena, Aleeya and two of the kids.  Sam was in school so no problem.  I had invited Nicole to meet us for shopping because Ryan was out of town.  Nicole brought along Aimee to meet us since she'll be living up near us.  We had a good time and Aleeya decided she needed to go back to Newcastle on Monday to buy her hubby's birthday present.  She asked if anyone wanted to go and since Sam was in school, I went along too.  We never made it there.  Her little boy threw up in the car about 20 minutes down the road.  All over himself and the car seat.  I helped her clean everything up at a service station.  Then in true Aussie fashion, we had a cup of coffee before turning back around for home.  Though first, we went by the base to another car seat for her son.  Poor kid was not sick the reason of the day and acted just fine.  Maybe he just didn't want to go shopping. 
I have also joined a playgroup.  Aleeya invited me to hers and that's where I've stayed.  Nice moms and good kids.  Sam really enjoys going, though he hasn't really made friends with anyone yet. 
We're going to Rachel's after school tomorrow for afternoon tea and then to a park on Thursday for Aleeya's birthday.  We also have a birthday party for a girl in Joe's class on Saturday.  I'm very excited about it all because I miss all my friends and family in the States. 

1 comment:

  1. and we miss you! You're in good hands. Maybe crunchy Selena would be up for some daytime hiking in beautiful Aussie land instead of all that shopping?

    ReplyDelete