Thursday, June 2, 2011

A boy and his collarbone

So I am way behind on my picture challenge and blogging.  I will catch up.  I promise. 
However, I have something to share first.
Every Wednesday night, we drive over to the soccer fields for practice.  This week is the first week that both boys have practice on the same night.  I was very happy about this as it means only one evening at the fields instead of two. 
Joe's practice starts at 4:30 and Tom's starts at 5.  Each one runs for 1 hour.  Just before 5 o'clock, Tom was playing with his teammates.  Basically, they were warming up before the coach arrived to start practice.  Sam was playing with a friend and I was talking with a friend as well.  I hear crying and turn around to see Tom shuffling towards me with his left arm hanging very limp at his side.  'Oh, no, this can't be good' was my first thought.  His crying was one of pain and not just a little pain.  He had fallen somehow, but no one saw what happened.  I start looking at this shoulder, thinking that maybe he'd dislocated it.  I notice a large bump on his collarbone that shouldn't be there.  'Oh, he's broken his collarbone,' I say.  I show it to my friend and she agrees that it's not quite right.  I gather Tom and Sam and load them in the car.  I then drive over to the next field and gather Joe up from his practice.  I text Jay since I know that he is riding his motorcycle home from work at that moment and let him know what's going on. 
The verdict is just as I suspected and it's a broken collarbone.  Our local little hospital doesn't have x-ray facilities so we had to wait until the next morning to confirm the nature of the break.

Wednesday evening was also a bit of a run around as the doctor wanted us to give Tom over the counter pain medicine and we had none in the house.  All the local pharmacies close at 5:30 most days.  I called one friend and she had some.  I drove to her house only to discover that all of her stuff had expired 6 months earlier.  We then called another friend and then drove to her house to get some. 
Thankfully, the medicine did help.  Tom hasn't had too much pain.  Here he is about 2 1/2 hours after his fall. 
On Thursday we bought a real sling, got the x-rays and visited our family doctor.  Our doctor says that the arm will heal fine, but it will have to be in the sling for about 4 weeks.  The ER doctor had told us something completely different, but she hadn't seen the x-ray.  No soccer, jumping, running around or anything for the next 4 weeks either.  He's being a real trooper about it now, but that may change as the time moves on a little bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment