So, I've come to a point in my life where I need to decide what I am going to be doing. 14 years ago, or so, I kinda had a plan. I was in my senior year of high school and had an idea about where I wanted to go.
Then, I didn't like that first plan any more, so I made a new one. Nope, didn't like that one either. How about plan C? I stuck with plan C for a long while, until I engaged. Jay and I talked about having kids and how we'd have kids earlier rather than later. So now we have a new plan. Plan D.
Fast forward to now.
I am a point in my life where I need a new plan again. At this point, it is pretty much plan M or so.
I waited and waited for over 8 years to have my very own, regularly scheduled days off. I dreamed about all the fun things I could and the naps I could take. Now that the days are a reality, I'm bored!
In the States, I was a very busy gal, with lots going on. Part of moving to Australia was that I'd do less and be less stressed. Well, I have succeeded in that plan. Now I need to find something to do. I have been thinking about what to do for months and months now. I haven't really made any progress. Not from a lack of ideas though. I have been given plenty of ideas. None of them have struck my fancy though. I feel like I need to find something that I will really enjoy and want to do. There's no point in getting a job at the grocery store just to fill time, as I wouldn't really enjoy it.
I've looked into taking some classes, but the local community college doesn't offer much. Barista training, emailing for seniors, Brazilian Samba, termite proofing your home, fishing secrets, and food safety supervisor training are just some of the course offerings. The local college does offer a few courses that are a possible interest, but I will have to wait until next term as then one has already started. There is a digital photography course I might take, as well as a cake decorating class. I will pass on the How to Sell on Ebay and the Skyping for Seniors though.
Jay asked the boys one night at dinner what they thought I should do with my free time. Here are some of their answers:
Tom: Scrapbook.
Joe: Come to school with me.
Sam: Shop!
Joe: You could play my DSi or the Wii.
Tom: Babysit.
Sam: Go to the store.
These answers give me some pause. I have a bad feeling that my boys are getting the feeling that moms are only supposed to do certain jobs. These answers come a week or so after the boys made up a new game. The game is called Star Fighters. In the game, I am their Star Sister, who stays at home and does all the chores. I asked them why I had to stay at home. Their answer was "that's what girls do." Of course, it doesn't help that my kids only know stay-at-home moms or teachers. No wonder that's what they think women do.
Always in my mind, I bucked the gender roles. I never had any interest in doing the traditional "woman" things. I've gotten slotted right into that though. Sometimes, life just works out that way.
As a recently unemployed at-home mom, I'm also thinking about gender roles in our family and my children's impressions of "what girls do". It's a tricky one.
ReplyDeleteAnd also, I don't envy you having to search for a new identity right now. It sounds very frustrating actually. But digital photography and cake decorating sound fun and useful! That is something to look forward to!