So most nights this week, there are class meetings at school. Each class is scheduled for a different night and it gives the parents a chance to go to school and meet the teachers and other parents in the class, etc, etc. I had Joe's class tonight and I have Tom's class tomorrow night.
First, since Joe is in Year 3 (YEAR 3!!!), we all met in one room to start. We got to hear all about what Stage 2 kids do (Stage 2 is the Year 3 and 4 kids). We also got to hear about the overnight camping trip that will be taking place in August (2 nights of "camping" at an educational fitness camp and NO parents allowed!). After about 25 minutes of listening, we split off to our own classes.
Joe's teacher is Mr. E. He is an older man who's been teaching for 37 years. He used to teach at another local school but was let go during firing cuts at the end of 2009. That school cut the oldest and the youngest, and he was one of the oldest. He took a year off, while trying to find work locally and was offered a job for this year. Mr. E is a very "old school" teacher and I think that Joe will benefit from being in his class.
We followed Mr. E down to his classroom and he asked us to sit at our children's desks. All the parents asked where their kid was. When it was my turn, I was highly embarrassed to find that the lone little table up next to the teacher's desk was Joe's. So there I sat, up at the very front and far away from all the other parents. I was mortified! How could I have a kid that had to sit by the teacher?!? I was the kid in school who always followed the rules, always did my work quickly and quietly and was very well behaved! So, for 30 minutes, I sat there, in a tiny chair with everyone knowing that my kid was THE problem kid. I stayed until everyone left and then asked Mr. E how Joe was doing in class. Here is his answer in a nutshell:
Joe is probably the top reader in the class and is, by far, the best at math. However, Joe won't do any work that involves writing, he argues constantly with other students and Mr. E, and day dreams often.
He is doing better at doing his work now that he has been separated from the other students, but is still no completing his work in a timely manner. Now, Mr. E has just got done saying that he's not the kind of teacher to flog his students, that he just wants them to try. And here is my kid, stuck away from everyone because of his problems.
Mr. E went on to say that Joe is very bright and I don't have to worry about his school work, but he has problems socially. Not a surprise, as we've been through most of this before. This was just the first time that a teacher has put him at the front by himself. There has always been someone "worse" that has had that seat.
We had the school counselor working with us towards the end of last year and she is "on the job" this year too. She's called me twice and talked about things to help Joe and his friend making. He's making friends, according to Mr. E, but he's then too much of a friend (if that makes any sense). Two days a week, he has the chance to participate in Happy Playgrounds. This group is just a group of kids, typically those who get picked on, to do an scheduled activity during recess. It gives them a purpose rather than wondering the grounds, trying to fit in. Joe has done this a couple of times, but the counselor says he's hesitant to join in.
I told Joe to invited a male friend, from his class, over to play Wii this week. He has set up a playdate with one, but every time I see his mom, she hasn't said anything (and I keep forgetting!). Hopefully, this child is actually coming and Joe doesn't become disappointed. Joe really wanted to invite a female friend from last year, but I said that he needed to work on making friends from this year's class. I told him that he could invite one of the girls next time. Tom will get to invite a friend next week, with the same rules as Joe. Sam will have the chance as well.
Oh that must have felt so bad for you! I wonder if that's how Joe feels sitting there. I can see how it would help him concentrate more, but I can't see that it would help him make friends!
ReplyDeleteBetween the school counselor, Happy Playgrounds, and your plan for inviting a friend, it seems like you have good strategies in place for him. I really like the Happy Playgrounds idea! Every school should have that!
Joe is smart and sweet. He will be an amazing adult and all this will just be a faint memory. Sending you hugs!