Our driveway is a tricky one. Incredibly steep and lined on both sides with obstacles.
It is almost impossible to tell how steep it really is from this picture. A person can't really walk up the driveway which is why there are stairs. Jay and I have made comments from the moment we moved in about how one of us was going to run into the stairs or the terraced gardens on the other side. I just didn't realize it would be both of them on the same day by me.
So, here's what happened. I take full responsibility for doing it, but I'm just irritated I did it. I started backing out of the garage as usual. I am stair side of the garage, by the way. I couldn't turn the wheel enough on leaving the garage since I had pulled to close to the wall the day before. As I was backing down, I realized that I was far to close to the wall and needed to pull forward and correct. Of course, I have a manual transmission on a very steep driveway and I tried to pull forward. No luck, the car rolled back despite the fact that I had my foot on the brake while pressing the gas. It rolled on the steps. I tried, unsuccessfully, to pull forward again. Once again, I went backwards. I now have two wheels on the steps and two off and nowhere to go. I can't get out and push it up the hill and I can't roll off the steps because they are getting taller and taller. It was actually quite a bit scary. Joe and Tom were freaking out a bit, though I was too. I finally managed to get it off the steps in a very not pretty way, but somehow went a little sideways in the car and back quickly into the retaining wall on the other side.
Now, if we weren't selling the car in a couple of years, I would just shrug off the damage as a pain, but not really worth repairing. However, we are selling the car and we will now need to repair it.
This picture is the little scrap left from Jay's bump. There is also a slight dent.
Here's mine:
Front passenger, under the door
Rear passenger, under the door.
Rear bumper, where I hit the retaining wall:
I'm very sorry for teasing Jay about his bump. Geez. If you notice the steps in the first picture, you can actually see the steps that I scraped on. They have white on them and I broke the corner off another one. Here's a closer view:
doh! I would have done it much sooner than you. This is crazy! Made for fender benders! It would be impossible to drive away from your house drunk. Every time that you backed down that hill with a manual transmission, you did the impossible. I could never do that!
ReplyDelete