Thursday, May 20, 2010

The great attic clean out

After we had lived in our house for several years, we replaced the small attic hatch with pull down stairs.  Best investment we ever made to this house (well, maybe not, but it was a great idea).  The stairs allowed us easy access and made it easier fit larger things up there.  Of course the downside of all that wonderful storage is that we have to empty the attic prior to the movers arriving. 
I started on this project today.  The attic is hot and the ceiling is low.  It's no fun.  First up, suitcases!

Now, if you are looking at these suitcases and thinking, boy, that's a lot of suitcases...believe me, I couldn't believe how many we had!  I got my first two suitcases when I went off to college.  Great huge rolling duffel bags.  I added a regular black suitcase and carry-on later.  Jay also had a large suitcase and two carry-ons.  Over our various travels throughout the years, many of the suitcases got very worn out, broken wheels, busted zippers, etc.  We bought some new, but NEVER threw away the old busted ones.  Then my parents bought 5 new suitcases for us for moving.  Of course, this pile includes all the old busted ones.  My two duffel bags, my regular black suitcase and carry-on are all in the pile for the dump (large holes, broken wheels and broken zipper).  I also put all the diaper bags into the donate pile.  Now the pile is much more reasonable.  
Jay and I will get to spend most of the evening tonight cleaning out the attic.  Golf clubs, kid toys, christmas decorations and more!  
   




2 comments:

  1. You're not the only one in the family who never trashes suitcases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have gone through so many suitcases when Rob travels for work. The airlines just munch them. I keep telling Rob that we need to keep them because "you never know". He keeps throwing them out . . . its probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete